Tuesday, April 6, 2021

US Supreme Court- My New Perspective

    After watching Parts I and II of the video, I learned several new things about the Supreme Court of the United States. I did not realize that the court has to wait for issues to be brought to them, and they receive thousands of petitions every year but only accept one hundred. I also did not know that anyone can petition the court, from a prisoner to the President of the United States. 

    The most surprising thing I learned is that there have been just over 100 Supreme Court justices in the country’s history, at the time the video was recorded. I thought it would be many more than that, but justices often hold their position for decades (the average is sixteen years). I thought the most important take away point is that the United States Supreme Court is the most powerful judicial body on Earth.

    After listening to the interviews with the justices, the video changed the way I think of the Supreme Court because it made me consider them as individual people instead of unrelatable, unapproachable figureheads. At first some of them admitted that they felt overwhelmed and strange to be a Supreme Court justice. It could take years until they feel comfortable there, and they even sometimes get nervous or frustrated. These interviews were an interesting way to end the video, because while Part I focused on the court’s tremendous power and responsibility as a while, Part II showed that the Supreme Court is made up of men and women who share the same objective to uphold the United States Constitution, even if they disagree on fundamental issues.




No comments:

Post a Comment